Premise initial ideas

Premise Initial Ideas  

After the briefing and before going into my one to one with Alan I only had a few broad ideas of where I wanted to go with my premise project. From the get go I knew I wanted to do something with toys, a project with a design focus with the possibility to turn my designs into physical figures of some sort. I’m a huge tiki culture and mid century fan so I am inclined to do something in that direction as that is the aesthetic, theme and style I enjoy.

After the the talk, Alan gave me a few ideas to go forward with, we discussed the idea of id being a some what parody of an 60s/70s era Hanna Barbera style beach movie. The idea of a group of teenagers trying to solve a mystery. The other vain we spoke about was to do an 80s He-Man style over the top action cartoon inspired by the cartoons and toy lines of the time.

After the talk I’ve come up with a series of ideas under each banner.



Hanna Barbera 60/70s style 


- Teen mystery crew with cliche 50s character tropes such as greaser who could be a pro bowler, his girlfriend a roller skate waitress, a cool beach surfer dude, some sort of Shriner frat guy, a magical more cartoony tiki sidekick plus they could all drive around in a hotrod car. With this idea I wanted to incapsulate the idea of classic 50s mid century Americana with a cliche parody of a Hanna Barbera show, with limited animation, intentional colour and animation errors (I’m not sure how possible such an idea would be in 3D). Think Captain Caveman, Jabberjaw, Speed Buddy, Funky Phantom  or Scooby Doo.


80s Toy Driven Action cartoon

- Heman and the masters of the universe style 80s toy focused action cartoon parody. For this idea I knew I wanted to go forward with an idea where the focus of the design was on the design of toys and being toyetic and sellable as toys with a cast of crazy heroes and villains. I came up with the very quick idea of the:

KAUA AKU ATTACK - Pacific Island Tiki fighting squad!

This is an idea of a tiki culture/Polynesian isle inspired fighting squad with a huge diverse and varied cast of heroes, there could be a islander that spins fire a hula girl, a wooden tiki totem inspired guy a more Easter island stone inspired guy, and a menehune styled guy. I love the idea of it being toy focused and each character being super over the top with a ridiculous action feature of gimmicks to them. I like the idea of incorporating the idea of tiki drink culture into it too with them drinking different types of potions out of tiki mugs to give them abilities, this idea would of course be done in either a commercial Style or the intro to a cartoon.


Comments

  1. Louis, please read - https://ucarochester-cgartsandanimation.blogspot.com/2020/01/fao-caa-year-2-toolkit-2-check-re.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts